It has been 8 years I have been using a pc & a mac since last year. I have never spent a single rupee on any of the software(humm my mac was already having the OS- so exclude it and also the softwares that I use in office. ). I have been using a lot of software including Flash, Flex, Photoshop, windows xp, MS Word, Acrobat pro and many more. I know it takes a lot to create softwares like these, lot of coding, debugging, marketing and god knows what adobe, microsoft and other giant companies does to sale their products.
Now the question is why don’t I buy them? Do not I earn enough money to buy them? Or software companies want some users like us for their popularity?
I got to ask my friends and colleagues about it and took the reviews, there were some interesting reasons came out. Here are some commonly questions/ statements given:
1. Why should I buy if I get the serial for free by searching net?
2. Oh, the cost of the software are too much. Photoshop more than 25k INR, same for flash.
3. What is the benifit of getting genuine software( just getting updates?)
4. Even if I buy a version of the software, the next version does not take 6 months to come out. While the original version is not stable, I have to update to new for which again I have to pay at least 1/3rd of the amount in most of the cases.
5. Adobe does not ask us for money!!!
6. For home users it should be free… if it’s not free no matter, we have got free.
7. How much I earn to pay this large amount for a single software?
8. My friends will laugh on me if I buy a license. They have got it for free.
9. It’s a marketing strategy to get addictive.
10. My vendor has given it .. I dont know about license.
What about me? my answer is: “if I calculate cost of all the softwares I use , it would be nearly 250000 INR, and if I spend this much I have to stop taking my food- I can not afford that. Again frequent changes in versions of the softwares are crazy. “